Tioga County?

General

Tioga County?

Postby Jkrem » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:07 pm

Has anyone done any panning in Tioga County? I understand there are some spots there and in Bradford county that will yield some fine gold. I am new to the hobby and really enjoy each of the clubs sites.
Jkrem

Postby fanatic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:39 pm

I've done a bit of panning/sluicing in Tioga County. Actually in Mill Creek/Mill Cove. Didn't find a lot and it was very fine, but it was there. I suspect the Tioga River is loaded with it based on the glacial moraine and I'm trying to get permission to check some areas out this summer.

Check out our new NY site. We're not far apart. Maybe we can get together this year.

http://nygoldsite.forumup.us/index.php? ... nygoldsite
fanatic

tioga gold?

Postby nick » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:59 pm

I have often wondered about the stream that flows thru Mansfield? Also i agree with Fanatic that the Tioga river should hold some gold in it. I have heard reports of gold being found during the building of the route 15 and silver mines in your area the Indians used for trade. If you ever need company trying to find some area gold, let me know. I would like to experiment in that area.
nick

Postby Jkrem » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:15 pm

My cottage is in Covington, PA which is about 5 minutes from the Tioga River. The Tioga River in this area is very heavily polluted with acid mine drainage from old coal works in the Blossburg area. How does that affect gold collection? My neighbor dredged the stream behind my house and built my driveway out of the gravels. I should try panning some of it. Some places I want to try are some small streams that are loaded with sand and small gravels and have alot of exposed bedrock. They are tributaries of the Tioga River or Pine Creek. My gravity trap gold pan is on order, and I'm happy to report back once the weather breaks.
Jkrem

Postby fanatic » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:44 am

nick and jkrem - just let me know when you want to get out there this spring. I live just two miles from the Pa border - 8 miles from Lawrenceville. I have pans, three sluices, a highbanker and a dredge.

As far as the runoff from old mines, it sure hasn't hurt the fishing in the Tioga River. Its loaded with bass.
fanatic

Return to General