Central PA Gold

General

Central PA Gold

Postby chez » Tue May 22, 2007 5:59 pm

Hello All.... As this is new to me (sparked by a few TV programs) I decided to check-out things out. I live in Central PA (close to State Collage) thats loaded with very old coal mines - so I have plenty of black dirt. More than 1 "old" miner has spoken of gold veins they have seen while in mines. Many of these mines were flooded after they stopped producing some 40 to 60 years ago - some still have water flowing out and have formed small rivers and streams. We have a very high mineral content (a lot of iron & lead also) - is my area worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance for any help
chez

Postby Jkrem » Wed May 23, 2007 11:06 am

Welcome to the site, there are alot of experienced folks here. I have spent a good bit of time in underground coal mines in Ohio and West Virginia. I would expect that what he was referring to is pyrite that forms in the acidic conditions in old works. Just my $0.02. Also, be very careful in or around any old shafts unless you are an experienced caver with the proper equipment and never go alone. Just my $0.02 again.
Jkrem

Postby jsgoldny » Wed May 23, 2007 5:50 pm

Chez, the Bald Eagle Chapter is a good place to start. They have meetings in your area and offer all the help you will need and plus a great bunch of people. I'm not sure what gold is being found in your area. If you need some names of people just let me know I'll get you some e-mail address. Also welcome to the site. jsgoldny :D
jsgoldny

Return to General