Gold in Clearfield County?

General

Gold in Clearfield County?

Postby TRJohns » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:12 pm

I have some land in Clearfield County north of DuBois, are any of you aware of any gold in that region? I have a friend in Virginia who has gotten into gold prospecting and he's talking of coming up one day.

I've looked on the net all I could but I don't see any references to gold in Clearfield County.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
TRJohns

Re: Gold in Clearfield County?

Postby PennRunGold » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:48 pm

This came from north of Dubois! Clearfield County!

It's strange how much you've got to know before you know how little you know!
PennRunGold

Postby TRJohns » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Awesome! Thanks for posting that picture. Now all I have to do is learn how to pan and I can check my place out. It has two streams on it so that should be good.

T
TRJohns

Postby TRJohns » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 pm

PennRunGold if you would please send me an email at TRJohns (at) Verizon.net

Thanks
TRJohns

Postby TRJohns » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Trying to follow up here. Could any of you give me an idea of how much material had to be moved to get the gold found in the picture?

I'll be using a shovel when I prospect so I would like to know how long and with what equipment that gold was found. I'd hate to know that if I found gold at the same rate it would take me a week with a shovel. I'm too old to dig for a week, :lol:

T
TRJohns

Postby PennRunGold » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Hey TR, the material this came from what could be considered as some really rich concentrates. It was obtained by cleaning out the "screw" in the first stage of the gravel operation. The material comes from the large pond on site where a big commercial dredge is used to remove the gravel material from a depth of about 25 feet.(not really sure of the depth, give or take a few feet) Let me dig up a few pictures for ya.
Also, look for white quartz in your stream. If it is present you just might be in luck.
PennRunGold

Postby susie q » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:44 am

Hi TR..since dredging is illegal here in PA..a shovel is the only way to go. If you have exposed bedrock in your streams with cracks and crannies, a hand dredge (gold sucker) would work well for that. Stay close to the inside curves/bends of creeks, you do have to dig deep to find a solid layer that the gold would settle on..behind large boulders/rocks and other obstacles in the creek that would create an eddy to form..that suddenly slows the water flow and the gold would drop and settle in the slower moving section. Dropoff's, boulders, trees and such are good places to sample behind in a creek. You could spend all day digging and possibly not find a speck of color..or you could sample a small spot and find a few specks. Narrowing down where to look, how to read a stream, understanding the waterflow pattern, especially during highwater and sampling for color will save you alot of time and backaches in the field. Good luck out there..let us know how you do.....Sue
susie q

Postby TRJohns » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:42 am

This mining operation is north of Pennfield on 255?

Do you think the operator of the gravel pit would let me look at the site to get an idea of the geology in the area? I've done 5 min's of very preliminary digging on my place, it seems that there is a lot of small shale type gravel in the bed of one stream. I went down about 2 feet and I was still in the same material. I'd love to be able to at least get a little color when I wanted to go prospecting on my place, maybe the gold is just to scattered where I am.

Maybe I'll just get a backhoe and dig down by the stream to get an idea of what layers of material are there.

T
TRJohns

Postby PennRunGold » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:30 pm

My how time flys!! Here is a picture of the dredge they use in Penfield. Dredging in Pa is legal. BUT you need a permit, which you will never get. But who am I to say. It depends on which corrupt beaucrat you contact.

PennRunGold

Postby ginnysdaddy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:16 pm

You shall invite us all to your place, (PA-Gold members), to have a little get together. No GPAA members. We split our finds, but you, as being owner, you get more of a percentage. Could it be done??
ginnysdaddy

Postby TRJohns » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:21 pm

We might be able to work something out this summer. I think I have someone lined up to go there with me who has some experise in identifying glacial tills and such. If he and I find any gold I could see having folks over one day.

T
TRJohns

Return to General